BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Positive Changes - so far

So far I am pleased with the changes I have made so far.  I type this with a smile on my face listening to my daughter yell from upstairs in 19mo old jibberish that basically she is not going to take a nap without her cuppy.  I think "I am not giving in to this tiny tyrant!  She will not get a cup at nap time  anymore  today."
Yup, I am smiling about it because that is my change for today.  I am not giving in to my daughter today.  Okay, Okay - some will argue that this is not a positive change, but hear me out because this decision comes from knowledge of the past.  According to my sister, I took a bottle/cup/drink of some kind to bed until I was about 5 (or older maybe).  I know that I let my son & daughter take cups to bed for a very long time (to be honest they still take a drink to their rooms at night).  I don't want to have to fight with her anymore on this.  She has to learn to nap/sleep without a drink.  And - one more huge decision - I am not taking the DVD player on our trip to Seattle and when I get back it  will no longer be in her room.  She will not get a movie at nap time either. 
So, just to update, here's where I am at so far:

  1. I am still working on getting out of bed in the morning before the older kids leave for school.  I was doing great, but it just hasn't happened since last Thursday. 
  2. I have been doing great at cleaning up the living room every night before bed except one day I decided last week was my day off, and then the other night I wasn't feeling well so I left it.  **BONUS** Last night when I started getting the house ready for bed Mike actually got up and helped.  I will not let this go unnoticed!
  3. I have been trying to take care of the dishes myself and not make it one of the kids chores.  At first I wondered if they noticed that they weren't having to do it, but SAW proved to me that he had noticed because when I told him I would do it he said no, that it was his "turn".  I try to make sure that I get the dishwasher emptied and filled at night before bed, and I try to wash all the hand wash dishes at least every other day (I know, ~gasp~ I leave dirty dishes overnight.  Hey - it's a work in progress)
  4. I have begun to make sure I am not leaving clothes in the washing machine overnight as well.  It is a chore that Bug offered to take over, but I am not sure I want to give up all the laundry to her, so I decided that the kids could be in charge of their own laundry, and I will take care of the rest.  which reminds me - I have to finish what I started this morning.
  5. We are also selling what we don't need.  We all have the potential to be on the TV show Hoarders in my family.  I also married into a similar family.  I am trying to get rid of the clutter by either donating it to our local Airman's Attic, or by selling it.  Right now I need all the money I can scrounge up for our trip to Seattle, but it's also great just getting things out of the way.
  6. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise.  I have avoided it for years because of my previous life (1st marriage).  I have started going to the gym at least 2 times a week, or getting outside for some exercise.  I haven't lost a lot, but I can feel my jeans getting a little looser.
So, Halfway  through January and I am pleased that my small changes are also causing small changes in the rest of my family.  I have a few more changes planned in my head, but I don't want to weigh myself down with too much so I am still taking it day by day.  I know that these things may seem minuscule to some of you, but to me it is a HUGE step in the direction of the life I want!

Thoughts:
  • it's okay if she doesn't nap right now, she will eventually
  • I wish I could have gotten up on time to see the kids off to school, I hope they know I love them
  • is it horribly irresponsible of me to take Bug out of school for 10 days for a vacation so soon after Christmas break?
  • Nah, other parents are doing it too!
  • I hope I have enough money for a hotel in Seattle
  • I hope my husband knows I love him.
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!
  • thank God for spell check!

1 comments:

April said...

I am loving reading about your adventures in being a stay at home mom...Keep your great attitude!