So far I am pleased with the changes I have made so far. I type this with a smile on my face listening to my daughter yell from upstairs in 19mo old jibberish that basically she is not going to take a nap without her cuppy. I think "I am not giving in to this tiny tyrant! She will not get a cup at nap time
Yup, I am smiling about it because that is my change for today. I am not giving in to my daughter today. Okay, Okay - some will argue that this is not a positive change, but hear me out because this decision comes from knowledge of the past. According to my sister, I took a bottle/cup/drink of some kind to bed until I was about 5 (or older maybe). I know that I let my son & daughter take cups to bed for a very long time (to be honest they still take a drink to their rooms at night). I don't want to have to fight with her anymore on this. She has to learn to nap/sleep without a drink. And - one more huge decision - I am not taking the DVD player on our trip to Seattle and when I get back it will no longer be in her room. She will not get a movie at nap time either.
So, just to update, here's where I am at so far:
- I am still working on getting out of bed in the morning before the older kids leave for school. I was doing great, but it just hasn't happened since last Thursday.
- I have been doing great at cleaning up the living room every night before bed except one day I decided last week was my day off, and then the other night I wasn't feeling well so I left it. **BONUS** Last night when I started getting the house ready for bed Mike actually got up and helped. I will not let this go unnoticed!
- I have been trying to take care of the dishes myself and not make it one of the kids chores. At first I wondered if they noticed that they weren't having to do it, but SAW proved to me that he had noticed because when I told him I would do it he said no, that it was his "turn". I try to make sure that I get the dishwasher emptied and filled at night before bed, and I try to wash all the hand wash dishes at least every other day (I know, ~gasp~ I leave dirty dishes overnight. Hey - it's a work in progress)
- I have begun to make sure I am not leaving clothes in the washing machine overnight as well. It is a chore that Bug offered to take over, but I am not sure I want to give up all the laundry to her, so I decided that the kids could be in charge of their own laundry, and I will take care of the rest. which reminds me - I have to finish what I started this morning.
- We are also selling what we don't need. We all have the potential to be on the TV show Hoarders in my family. I also married into a similar family. I am trying to get rid of the clutter by either donating it to our local Airman's Attic, or by selling it. Right now I need all the money I can scrounge up for our trip to Seattle, but it's also great just getting things out of the way.
- Exercise, Exercise, Exercise. I have avoided it for years because of my previous life (1st marriage). I have started going to the gym at least 2 times a week, or getting outside for some exercise. I haven't lost a lot, but I can feel my jeans getting a little looser.
- it's okay if she doesn't nap right now, she will eventually
- I wish I could have gotten up on time to see the kids off to school, I hope they know I love them
- is it horribly irresponsible of me to take Bug out of school for 10 days for a vacation so soon after Christmas break?
- Nah, other parents are doing it too!
- I hope I have enough money for a hotel in Seattle
- I hope my husband knows I love him.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!
- thank God for spell check!